Bradley Wiggins will be back on his home patch this Sunday riding the ‘Ride with Brad’ sportive and celebrating the launch of his new foundation. You and a friend could be joining him for the ride, we have 2 pairs of tickets to give away to BikeRadar readers thanks to Gatorade.
Gatorade, the official hydration partner of British Cycling, Team Sky and the Bradley Wiggins Foundations ‘Ride With Brad’ are offering four spots to ride in the event through the Pendle and Ribble Valley, which is on Sunday 19th August. We are giving away 2 pairs of tickets to two BikeRadar readers!
To help you to success in this or another event this summer here are some top tips on riding a sportive from Team Sky’s very own Alex Dowsett who features in Gatorade’s latest video giving a unique insight into how the products that fuel the team work. (http://ow.ly/cs9X9)
1. Have all your kit ready the Wednesday before your event, that’s everything from clothing, bikes & spares to Gatorade pro series product, this gives you time incase something goes wrong.
2. You won’t gain any fitness or strength in the 4-5days leading up to the event, you can only make yourself tired with panic training, so kick back and relax with easy rides knowing that all the hard work has been done. Make sure you've done this hard work though!
3. Ensure you are well equipped for all weathers, even if it looks sunny and warm its amazing how quickly conditions can change, a pair of thermal gloves and thin waterproof could be crucial to not ruining your day.
4. Pace yourself, some people will want to race and get competitive at the start, let them go, theres a chance you'll catch and pass them later when they tire, set out at a pace you know you can sustain for the whole duration.
5. Fuel properly in both your training days and the event day. This means not just during your rides but before and after also with the Gatorade Pro Series, this will maximise your training and your performance on the day. I try to drink a 500ml bottle of Gatorade every hour if its hot, every 2 hours if it isn't as well as a piece of food every half hour, mini sandwiches or cakes are fine, half an energy bar or flapjacks are also very good.
*UK residents only. Winners will be notified via email on Thursday 16th August.